Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bill McKibben Is Coming to Philly to Present "Do the Math"

To My Environmental Friends:

If you haven't already heard there is a big global warming wake-up event coming to Philadelphia 11/17. I'll be attending, and hope you will be able to join me.

The event is called Do The Math, and it's being organized by the organization 350.org (as you know the Sierra Club and 350.org often are linked together in events), and features author and activist Bill McKibben. At this event, Bill will be laying out the terrifying math of global warming -- and the plan to try and stop it while we still have time.

Here's the story in short: we can burn 565 more gigatons of carbon and stay below 2°C of warming — anything more than that risks catastrophe for life on earth. The only problem is that fossil fuel corporations now have 2,795 gigatons in their reserves, five times the safe amount. And they’re planning to burn it all — unless we find a way to stop them.

Bill will be giving the full story on this math, and the plan to keep that carbon from being burned.

The Do the Math Tour is visiting 20 cities across America in November to kick off the campaigns to directly take on the fossil fuel industry. I'd like to invite you to join me in Philly on Nov. 17th. I already have my ticket, but you can get yours here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/4366251576

I hope you'll join me! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here are the details:

Event: Do the Math - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Date: Saturday, November 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM (EST)

Location:

First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia
2125 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19103

For more information click here:
Do the Math - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Tom Bale



1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom, I was excited about this event too, but it's now listed as sold out! Do you know if a larger venue is being sought? Please update us if you have a chance; this is a really important event. Thanks from Iris over at Protecting Our Waters.

    ReplyDelete